1. Strong families provide a conducive environment for children to grow up in. However, when families run into difficulties and threaten to break apart, the well-being of the children may also come under pressure.
2. A strong family justice system requires policy-makers, the judiciary and professionals working with families to find ways to minimise the negative effects and impact on children when families break up. This requires understanding the experiences families have had in navigating the family justice system, and identifying gaps within the system which requires review and improvement.
Invitation to give feedback
3. The Committee to Review and Enhance Reforms in the Family Justice System (“RERF Committee”) has submitted a set of recommendations to Chief Justice’s Office, the Ministry of Law (MinLaw) and Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF). The RERF Committee has proposed some ways in which the Government, the Judiciary and community partners can collaborate to strengthen the family justice system and better support for families. MinLaw and MSF invite members of the public to offer their views on the proposed recommendations. Your views are important to help us to improve the clarity of the recommendations and its implementation later.
4. The recommendations are summarised below:
5. Details of the recommendations and the related report can be found in Annex.
6. Respondents are requested to follow these guidelines:
i. Indicate your name and the organisation you represent (if applicable) as well as contact details (email address and / or telephone number) to enable us to follow up and seek clarification, if necessary.
ii. Focus your comments on how the recommendations can be improved or whether the changes are necessary.
iii. State clearly which specific recommendations you are giving feedback on by referring to the relevant paragraphs in the report (Annex).
7. The consultation period is from 20 September – 1 November 2019. All views and feedback may be sent in electronic form or hard copy form. Please title all comments and feedback “Consultation on RERF Committee’s recommendations” and send them to any of the addresses below:
|Post to:|| Family Development Group |
Ministry of Social and Family Development
#04-02, 20 Lengkok Bahru,
8. All responses received by the closing date will be carefully considered.