The Ministry of National Development (MND) and the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) invite members of the public to give feedback on the proposed key amendments to the Building Maintenance and Strata Management (BMSM) Act (BMSMA).
2. The BMSMA, introduced on 1 April 2005, provides a legal framework for the management and maintenance of strata-titled properties, and spells out the duties and obligations among the different stakeholders such as Subsidiary Proprietors, Management Councils and Managing Agents. The provisions of the Act empower the Management Corporations (MCSTs) of strata-titled properties to make decisions relating to the maintenance and upkeep of their properties.
3. As part of the ongoing review of the Act, BCA had previously conducted two rounds of public consultation to seek feedback on key areas within the Act and the proposed amendments. Comments and feedback received from the consultations have been reviewed and taken into consideration in drafting the proposed BMSM (Amendment) Bill.
Proposed amendments to the BMSMA
4. The key amendments seek to enhance governance and transparency over how the strata-titled developments are run; and provide better clarity and understanding to the provisions under the Act.
5. Please see Annex A for a list of proposed amendments to be incorporated in the draft Bill.
6. The proposed amendments are released only for the purpose of the final public consultation and should not be used for decisions made by individuals or the MCSTs as it does not represent the final legislation.
Public Consultation Details
7. This will be the final round of public consultations to the proposed amendments which will start on 01 February 2017 (9am) and end on 21 February 2017 (5pm).
8. Members of the public can send their views via post, fax or email, and reach the following address by the deadline:
- Commissioner of Buildings
Building and Construction Authority
52 Jurong Gateway Road
#10-01 Singapore 608550
- Fax: 6334 4031
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
9. All comments received by the deadline will be reviewed and considered for incorporation in the Bill.