Majority Support Demolishing Lee Kuan Yew House

Do you think the late Mr Lee Kuan Yew’s house at 38 Oxley Road should be torn down?

About 77% of 1,000 Singaporeans polled online support demolishing founding Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew’s house at 38 Oxley Road.

Mr Lee, who passed away on 23 March this year aged 91, said in his will that it was his wish that the house be demolished immediately after his death or, if his daughter, Dr Lee Wei Ling, preferred to continue living in the original house, immediately after she moves out.

61% of the respondents who supported tearing down the house felt it was important to honour Mr Lee's wish, while the rest wanted to respect his privacy.

On the other hand, 15% of respondents want the house retained. Of this group, 75% said the house should be opened to the public because it has high historical and cultural value. The other 25% felt the house "belongs to all Singaporeans and they should have a say regarding what happens to the house".

The online poll was carried out from 9 to 11 December by Hong Kong-based market research firm YouGov. YouGov said data from the survey is weighted to be representative of the online population of Singapore, and respondents have an average age of 35 years.

Source: “Poll: Most people back demolition of 38, Oxley Road” (The Straits Times, 23 Dec 2015)

Next More Singaporeans To Receive CHAS Subsidies